• Organized upon request: (min. 1 day in advance) and based on availability
• Private tour or shared*
• Date: you decide the date
• In English: with a tour guide (other languages upon request)
• Location: it starts and ends at your accommodation place (Bucharest city center)
• Starting time: 8:00 AM; Duration: 13 hours
* When there are more requests confirmed for the same date, a shared tour is organized at the price corresponding to the total number of participants.
A complete and interesting visit to Bulgaria. We take advantage of Bucharest's proximity to the Bulgarian border (only 80 km) to get to know another country, of Slavic language, different from Romania and with a unique heritage. Discover Arbanasi, a typical village and tourist destination where Jivkov himself, the former communist president, had a summer residence, and explore the important city of Veliko Tarnovo - former capital of the tsars, strolling through its welcoming downtown and admiring the original architecture.
What you will do:
• see the city of Veliko Tarnovo, whose beautiful architecture seems to climb the hills
• discover the surprising Nativity Church in Arbanasi
• enjoy different and beautiful landscapes en route
• enjoy Bulgarian cuisine.
With Santiago Tour:
1. Local experts and excellent guides
2. Local prices and selected services.
This can be a private tour, organized just for you and your partner / family / group, or a shared tour.
|No. of participants
|6 or more
Price / person
- Your tour will be private if no more people sign up or if we specifically agree so
If more people sign up for the tour you have booked / if it's you who signs up for an already scheduled tour, the tour will be shared. On a shared tour, the price is the one that corresponds to the total number of participants (from 6 it no longer decreases) and there is a maximum of 16 participants. If you don't want to share the tour, ask us about it.
- Prices are valid based on availability (extra charge or discount may apply)
- If your request is for more than 10 people, you will receive a personalized offer.
What is Included:
• Transportation by modern vehicle according to the program and the number of participants, with related expenses included
• Assistance: English speaking driver-guide (up to 8 participants) or English speaking guide plus driver (for more than 8 participants)
• Guided visit as per program and 2 attractions with guided tour but without the entrance fee included:
- Nativity Church (Arbanasi), approx. €3.5/person
- Tsarevets Fortress (Veliko Tarnovo), approx. €3.5/person
What is Not included:
• entrance fees
• photo / video fees during the visits (if applicable)
• in general, all services not specified in "what is included"
• tips for the driver-guide / guide and driver.
1. Entrance fees included: + €7/person
* Read the General Conditions for a Day trip or tour by clicking here
Nativity Church / Konstantsalieva House (website / website)
April - October. 09:00-18:00. Monday: closed from 09 to 12 AM.
November - March. Only with reservation at +359 885 105 254 (minimum 30 min. Before)
Monday-Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. only the church is open to visits
Saturday-Sunday: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tsarevets Fortress (website)
April - October: 08:00 - 19:00.
November - March: 09:00 - 17:00.
• This tour requires a brief customs control. The travel document, ID / Passport, is mandatory!
Day 1 of 1. The medieval capital of Bulgaria and a special village
Bucharest - Arbanasi - Veliko Tarnovo - Bucharest. 375 km
Program: visit Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanasi
Day trip to Bulgaria.
Duration: approx. 13 hours.
Starting time: 8:00 AM (the latest).
We leave Bucharest heading toward the border with Bulgaria. We cross the Danube and begin the experience in this Balkan country, arriving first at Arbanasi, a village of prosperous merchants privileged by the Sultan in the past, which is characterized by a beautiful architectural heritage of the 17th and 18th century. The amazing Nativity Church stands out along with Konstantsalieva House, an original residence with very interesting details. Then we continue to Veliko Tarnovo, just 4 km away, an old medieval capital with a beautiful and surprising architecture that seems to climb the hills. Walking city tour admiring the extensive Tsarevets Fortress and the historic center of the craftsmen called "Samovodska Charshia". Time to have lunch, short free time and return in the afternoon to Bucharest. End of the Santiago Tour’s services. Thank you!
About the attractions
Veliko Tarnovo stands out for its beautiful and surprising architecture that seems to climb the hills. It is the old medieval capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire, which occupied a much more extensive territory than today’s modern state. Meandering through the city, the Yantra River almost completely surrounds one of its hills, creating the ideal place for a stronghold. It is where the tsars built the fortification of Tsarevets for centuries, unfortunately unable to avoid the conquest of the 15th century by the Ottoman Empire, when the city lost its status. "Samovodska Charshia" is the historic center dotted with craft shops where the wood sculptors, icon painters, tinsmiths, weavers or blacksmiths still create, manufacture, and sell their products.
The Nativity Church, original and beautiful. As Turkish rule did not allow a Christian church to be higher than a man on a horse, this church has the floor lower than the street level, to compensate, and a vaulted ceiling that cannot be guessed from the outside. It impresses by the multitude of frescoes and their refinement.
Konstantsalieva house, an original fortified residence, designed to withstand frequent bandit attacks, and characterized by remarkable attention to detail.