• Private tour: only for you and your partner/family/group
• In English: with a guide or driver (other languages upon request)
• Dates: you decide the dates
• Services: you choose the type of services and options
• Location: it starts and ends in Sofia
• Duration: 11 days in total
• No flights included
The most important attractions in Macedonia and Bulgaria. The tour includes everything you can not miss in both countries. Discover the two capitals: Sofia and Skopje, surprising nature, picturesque cities, fortresses, castles, and monasteries.
What you will do
• Enjoy its remarkable natural beauty, its mountains and lakes
• Discover a country that was part of Yugoslavia, with a complex national identity and an important historical heritage
• Visit: Ohrid (monumental lake and UNESCO town), Skopje (eclectic and original capital city) and the most famous monasteries, Saint Naum and Saint Jovan Bigorski
• Explore Koprivshtitsa, an authentic museum-village that maintains the atmosphere of the 19th century
• See UNESCO attractions: Thracian Tomb, Rila Monastery, Nessebar’s Old Town
• Discover symbols of Bulgaria: the Madara Rider, the Rock-hewn churches of Ivanovo, the village of Arbanassi
• Visit Sofia (young and welcoming capital city), Plovdiv (beautiful cultural town), Veliko Tarnovo ("the city of the Tsars"), and Varna (the "marine capital" of the country)
Why Santiago Tour?
1. Local experts and excellent guides
2. Local prices and selected services
Why a Private Tour?
1. It's flexible - you decide when to travel and how
2. It's personal - a trip for you and according to your preferences
This is a private tour, adaptable to your travel dates and preferences, organized only for you and your partner / family / group.
|Number of participants||2||3||4||5||6 or more|
Price* / person
* Discount: up to - €325/person, in case of choosing English-speaking driver-guide instead of proficient tour guide (see below in options)
What is Included:
• Accommodation: 10 overnights according to the program, in double room with breakfast included, 3* Smart type (see below).
• Transportation by modern vehicle according to the program, with related expenses and 2 airport-hotel and return transfers included
• Assistance: English speaking proficient tour guide, as per program
• Guided visits mentioned in the program; 3 attractions with free entrance: Osogovo and Saint John Bigorski monasteries (North Macedonia), and Rila Monastery (Bulgaria); 10 attractions with entrance fee included: North Macedonia - City Museum (Robev House, Ohrid); Saint Naum Monastery (the church); Heraclea archaeological site (Bitola); Bulgaria - Nativity Church (Arbanassi); Tsarevets Fortress (Veliko Tarnovo); Rock-hewn Churches (Ivanovo); Madara Rider (bas-relief); Thracian Tomb (Kazanlak); Hindliyan or Balabanov House (Plovdiv); Koprivshtitsa Museum (houses).
3* Smart Type Accommodation: mainly 3* superior hotels with quality services
|1||Sofia||St. George 3*||center 1|
|2||Skopje||Premium 4*||center 0|
|3||Ohrid||Villa Jordan 4*||center 1|
|4||Ohrid||Villa Jordan 4*||center 1|
|5||Skopje||Premium 4*||center 0|
|6||Sofia||St. George 3*||center 1|
|7||Veliko Tarnovo||Studio 3*||center 0|
|8||Varna||Reverence Boutique 3*||center 1|
|9||Plovdiv||Evmolpia 3*||center 0|
|10||Sofia||St. George 3*||center 1|
or similar, depending on availability.
• Single room supplement: + €175.
What is Not included:
• flights and travel insurance
• personal expenses, such as: mini bar, phone calls, porterage etc.
• photo / video fees during the visits (if applicable)
• in general, all services not specified in "what is included"
• tips for the guide and/or driver.
• 4* Comfort type - mainly 4* hotels with quality services: Sofia - Central 4* Hotel (center 0); Skopje - Alexandar Square Boutique 4* Hotel (center 0); Ohrid - Villa Jordan 4* Hotel (center 1); Veliko Tarnovo - Studio 3*- superior Hotel (center 0); Varna - Golden Tulip 4* Hotel (center 1); Plovdiv - Holiday Inn 4* Hotel / Best Western Premier Hills 4* Hotel (center 2). Or similar, depending on availability. Total extra charge: approx. + €60/person in double room and the single supplement changing to: €250.
• 3* Economy type - mainly 3* standard hotels and pensions, with quality services. Total discount: approx. - €25/person in double room and single supplement changing to: €175.
Notes on accommodation
• Confirmed hotels can be communicated only after making the reservations on specific dates
• center 0 / center 1 / center 2 means: 0-5 / 5-15 / 15-25 minutes walking distance from the center (the important tourist area of the city)
• Some 3* boutique hotels and pensions don't have an elevator or air conditioning (because it is not usually required). If these are essential requirements, please let us know or choose the 4* Comfort option.
A. With a proficient tour guide. Option included in the price.
• English-speaking proficient tour guide, offering detailed explanation, presentations, and guided tours. The tour guide also makes all necessary arrangements, as well as restaurant and meal recommendations.
• a tour guide for the entire program, no local tour guides being used in general. Some attractions only allow guided tours (their own staff); if the included tour is not available in English, our tour guide will join you and translate or even make the tour by himself (if allowed).
• depending on availability: a tour guide who also drives (1 person), or a tour guide plus a driver (2 people), with fee, meal allowance, and accommodation included.
B. With a driver-guide. Discount: up to - €325/person.
• English-speaking driver-guide, facilitating the visits, the entrances to attractions, the check-ins and other details. The driver-guide is also able to make restaurant and meal recommendations.
• offers basic information about the main attractions and the country but not detailed explanation or presentations. Some attractions only allow guided tours (their own staff); if the included tour is not available in English, our driver-guide will join you and translate or even make the tour by himself (if allowed).
• his fee, meal allowance, and accommodation are included.
• lunches and dinners will be organized freely or with the help of your assistant.
• breakfasts are included with the accommodation
Read the General Conditions for a Private tour by clicking here
How it is organized
• 10 Overnights: Sofia - Skopje - Ohrid (2) - Skopje - Sofia - Veliko Tarnovo - Varna - Plovdiv - Sofia
• Itinerary: Bulgaria > Sofia (the capital) - Macedonia > Skopje (the capital) - St. Jovan Bigorski Monastery (in the mountains) - Ohrid (a monumental lake and a UNESCO town) - Saint Naum Monastery (with beautiful views) - Bitola (archaeological site of Heraclea) - Matka Canyon (beautiful natural area) - Skopje (the capital) - Bulgaria > Rila Monastery (UNESCO) - Sofia (the capital) - Arbanassi (original village) - Veliko Tarnovo (medieval capital of the Tsars) - Ivanovo (the cave churches) - Madara (The Madara Rider) - Varna (the country's "marine capital") - Nessebar (peninsular old town protected by UNESCO) - Kazanlak (the city "of roses") - Plovdiv (European Capital of Culture 2019) - Koprivshtitsa (village and museum at the same time) - Sofia (the capital)
• The tour has 10 overnights and 11 days: 2 days for arrival & return and 9 days of program with activities such as city tours, free time, and visits along the route.
• 11 days in total and planned to take place from Saturday to Tuesday. It can be adapted to your flights and preferred dates while taking into account the visiting hours of the attractions included in the program. Macedonia is in a different time zone than Bulgaria, 1 hour behind.
• The program can be slightly customized to match your preferences and ideas, or it can be the draft for a tailor-made trip made from scratch.
• Extend: there are 4 optional days that can be added to the program, which are detailed below and imply an additional cost.
Founder and manager of Santiago Tour since 2010. Tour guide in Romania from 2004, specialised in English speaking tourism as well as Spanish. Studies in UAB Barcelona.